Sunday, December 17, 2006

Disappearing Into A Big Church (December 17, 2006)

From time to time I run into an acquaintance who was active in a small church years ago until he left it for a big church where he does nothing but attend Sunday services.

I've encouraged him to get involved at the place he goes to now, and I hope that the next time I see him I can confirm that he has begun contributing to that church something more than a warm body in the pew and a check in the offering plate. He does not know that he represents to me a practice that I find infuriating: that of gifted believers withholding their service from churches that could use them by disappearing into megachurches where their presence is redundant.

Just once, when someone talks about leaving a church to begin attending another, I would like to hear an unselfish, service-related reason for it. I would like to hear a rationale based not on how it would benefit the mover but on how it would benefit the church he is moving to. For example:

"I'd love to teach a Sunday School class to teenagers, but my church already has several outstanding teachers and there is no opportunity for me to help in that way."

"As an accountant, I feel a duty to find a church that can use my services as treasurer."

"My current church has so many skilled musicians that they don't need me as a worship leader - I should probably find a congregation that could use my musical ability."

"Having raised my children and loved my husband I feel that I am in a position to mentor young married women - but my church has no such women for me to work with."

"I qualify as an elder according to 1 Timothy 3." (Rare commodity!)"My current church does not need the spiritual leadership that God has equipped me to provide - perhaps some other church does." (Yes! It does!)

And so on.

Few people attend the same church their entire lives - most Christians, at some point, will make a move to a new fellowship. When it is your turn to do so, please let thoughts of service govern at least part of the decision about where you end up. Even when church-shopping, you must obey Philippians 2:4: "Each of you should
look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

No comments:

Post a Comment