Sunday, October 26, 2003

How Do You Want To Die? (October 26, 2003)

Get a living will.

Recently I have found myself on the "wrong side" of the Terri Schiavo case, disagreeing with the vast majority of fellow conservative pro-lifers who have campaigned to restore the feeding tube that has kept her in a vegetative state for 13 years. I have always believed that it is immoral to enforce extreme measures - like a respirator for one who will never breathe, or a feeding tube for one who will never eat - upon an individual who cannot consent to them.

You may disagree with me, and I know of many fine Christian brothers and sisters who would be shocked and grieved that a pro-life minister would hold such a view. But even if Christian friends differ on whether withholding such treatment is an act of mercy or an act of murder, let's all agree on this: that we should make our own wishes known - clearly, in writing - to those who could be responsible some day for connecting or unplugging the machines that might preserve our beating hearts.

My own family knows my wishes. If I am incapacitated with no chance of recovery, then slap a “Do not THINK of Resuscitating” on my clipboard and leave me free of all respirators, feeding tubes and dialysis machines. If I can't breathe, swallow, or filter out my poisons, then for heaven's sake (literally!), for the love of God (literally!), let me go home and see my Savior.

I know plenty of people who feel the same way I do about that, but in all my life I've only met one who said she wanted every possible measure to keep her alive. Fair enough - let it be done so for her. Others are content to let their families make the decision. That's fine too, but keep in mind that (1) Families tend to argue about it - as they are doing now in the Schiavo case, and (2) Families, in my
experience, almost never pull a feeding tube. Usually they default to whatever machines will keep the heart beating.

"Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind." (Romans 14:5) Whether you want full measures, half measures, or (like me) no measures at all, do everybody a favor and make your feelings known. And if you are ever in that tough spot of having to make the life-or-afterlife decision for someone else, remember that the rule of our Lord applies: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (Matthew 7:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment