Wednesday, July 17, 2013

"Who Would Want That Rose?" - A Response To Matt Chandler

I write to call to task the increasingly popular "Jesus wants the rose!" meme of megachurch pastor Matt Chandler.

Chandler tells of the time a preacher urged his young audience to maintain premarital virginity. The preacher tossed out a rose and told people to smell it and touch it and pass it around. Then he preached about purity and warned about things like venereal disease. At the end the preacher asked for his rose back. Having passed through many hands it was now shabby and wilted, the stem was broken, and petals were missing. The preacher held up the miserable flower and asked, "Now who would want a rose like that?"

Chandler, sitting in the audience, says that he could barely contain his outrage. "I remember feeling anger - like real, legitimate, 'I-want-to-hurt-him' anger, and it was all I could do not to scream out, 'JESUS WANTS THE ROSE!' That's the point of the gospel! That JESUS wants the rose!" Chandler goes on to quote Bible verses about Jesus dying to save sinners. If you watch the video you'll see Chandler get emotional and teary as he rages against the preacher for "not even teaching the basics of our faith!"

But there are two problems with Chandler's response. The first is that it fails to understand biblical teaching about what Jesus wants. It substitutes an applause line, "Jesus wants the rose!" for patient reflection on the metaphors and parables that the Bible regularly uses to explain where we stand before God.

Suppose the preacher that Chandler wanted to maim had used a different illustration. Suppose instead of a shabby rose he showed a steaming cup of Kona coffee, a tall glass of iced tea with lemon, and a cup of water at 85 degrees Fahrenheit. The preacher says, "Now who would want to drink this lukewarm water?" Would Chandler still want to scream, "JESUS WANTS THAT LUKEWARM WATER"? The Bible says he doesn't, actually. Useless water like that makes him want to vomit. In Revelation 3:15-16 Jesus says to the church at Laodicea, "I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Or suppose the preacher held up two baskets of fish - one with fresh salmon, swordfish and mahi mahi and the other with smelly, moldy, disease-ridden carp. The preacher says, "Now who would want this basket of rotten fish?" Would Chandler shout, "JESUS WANTS THOSE BAD FISH"? Because again, the Bible says he doesn't. Matthew 13:47-48: "The kingdom of heaven is like a net that was let down into the lake and caught all kinds of fish. When it was full, the fishermen pulled it up on the shore. Then they sat down and collected the good fish in baskets, but threw the bad away."

Or suppose the preacher put out two plants, one full of red ripe strawberries and the other a mess of thorny weeds. "Who would want this weed patch?" the preacher asks. "JESUS WANTS THE WEED PATCH!" is the indignant response. But again, no. In Matthew 13:24-30 Jesus explains that weeds will get burned up while the good harvest is taken safely home.

Time would fail me to recount all the stories in the Bible that make the same point. Would Jesus close the door and turn aside people whose behavior indicated that they were not ready for his arrival? Well, yes, as a matter of fact he would - that's exactly what Matthew 25:1-13 teaches. I wonder if on judgment day there will be people shut out of the marriage feast like the five foolish maidens in that story, and they will protest, "But I was told that Jesus WANTED shoddy roses!" No, you heard wrong. Jesus said things like, "Blessed are the pure in heart," not, "Blessed are those who screw around." He said, "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness," not, "Blessed are those who indulge themselves and party like frat boys."

The Apostle Paul wrote to the Corinthian church saying, "I am jealous for you with a godly jealousy. I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him." (2 Corinthians 11:2). Imagine that! "A pure virgin." The image is clearly metaphorical and symbol-laden, but it is not hard to understand. Jesus wants a pure bride, not a filthy whore - a sweet rose, not a befouled one. So, if you are impure - a weed, a bad fish, a lukewarm cup, a nasty rose - REPENT. Call out for God's mercy, and, by his grace through Jesus Christ, stop being evil. Repent while there is still time.

Chandler's misguided rhetoric might be understood as a failure to complete a sentence. It is not accurate to say, "Jesus wants sinners." It is better to say, "Jesus wants sinners to repent." Because if they do not repent, Jesus will not want them. I'm sorry if that's offensive, but the Bible says it too clearly too many times to ignore. Or, we might say, "Jesus wants sinners to be made righteous through living faith in him." The point is, you can't merely say "Jesus wants sinners" (Jesus wants the rose!) without skewing the gospel in a bad and misleading way.

But there is a second problem with Chandler's outburst against the "Who-wants-that-rose?" preacher. Chandler faults him for not getting the gospel right, but by Chandler's own characterization, the man wasn't really talking about the gospel but about keeping yourself worthy of a good spouse. In that context, "Who wants a filthy rose?" is a very appropriate question to ask yourself when you are tempted to embark on a filthy life. I wish more people asked themselves that. Let me tell you a couple stories.

Four years ago I got married to the most wonderful person I have ever known. Lisa hates it when I say that, but it's true. I do not lie.

While we were courting I told her frankly my sexual history. I lost my virginity on my wedding night and remained faithful to my first wife through all our 20 years of marriage. I never kissed, caressed or even held hands with anyone else in my entire life. I remained faithful to my first wife even when she was treating me contemptuously and cheating on me with her lesbian friends, for whom she left me in 2005.

It meant something to Lisa that I had held the line on sexual compromise despite my misery. Some time before Lisa met me, some friends had tried to fix her up with a divorced man who had seemed to be eligible enough. But she knew that this man had cheated on his first wife, and so she did not trust him.

What if I had been a broken, befouled, petal-missing, much-used rose? What if I had hopped in and out of bed with a series of partners? Then I never would have gotten Lisa! She wanted to marry a good man. Had I slept around I would have disqualified myself in her eyes - deservedly so - and no words could ever express the regret I would have felt at missing out on such a treasure.

Lisa has a similar story. In 1986 she married a great man, Russell Krausfeldt, whom I'll get to meet in heaven some day. (He passed away in 2001.) Russ was highly regarded by everyone, especially by the one woman who came to know him better than anyone. Lisa told me that, 28 years ago, it was important for Russ, virginal himself, to marry another virgin. She was that. Had she not been, she would not have won the heart of the good man and faithful provider in whose house I am now privileged to live.

So, you who contemplate a life of fornication, please think about the question posed by the preacher who so annoyed Matt Chandler. It's actually a good question, and ought not be batted away with cheap rhetoric and tearful indignation. Sober reflection on it might - just might - preserve chastity and pave the way for a happiness that could not be otherwise obtained. Consider a rose rendered ugly by willful sin and ask yourself honestly,

Who would want that rose?

7 comments:

  1. Those are horrible illustration substitutions. You illustrations are incommensurable and not even comparable to the rose, something that has been passed around and touched and used and handled by multiple people. Your coffee illustration is not comparable because the end result of the coffee is a drink that has simply lost its heat, whereas the rose is wilted and drained. A more accurate illustration using coffee would be if the cup made it back up the stage and the cup was empty. You've missed the point entirely. Jesus died for us while we were yet sinners. Your argument is so philosophically, logically, and theologically flawed. Romans 5:8, man. He died for us WHILE we were sinners. What you're suggesting is that Jesus only wants those who are clean and pure and without sin, and if you are suggesting that, then you have missed the message of the Gospel. As for premarital sex, you are correct. It is wrong and a sin. But your comment on Lisa, "Had she not been, she would not have won the heart of the good man and faithful provider in whose house I am now privileged to live," consider Gomer and Hosea. Hosea was a Godly PROPHET who married an unfaithful woman, and yet God was glorified through their story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan,

      Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond passionately to my post! I have found over the years that I learn a lot from people who profoundly disagree with me - they help me to think more clearly and choose my words more carefully. Here perhaps is a prayer that you and I can agree on immediately: "Lord, please give Megan and me the grace to honor you with humble obedience, and remain forever grateful that your mercy reached as far as to save sinners like us." I wish you peace. Paul.

      Delete
  2. You, sir, are a self-righteous moron. You don't understand the Good News at all. And I agree, your illustrations are foolish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carrie,

      Actually I agree with you that I'm something of a moron. There are so many things I don't understand that I think my life's verse should be Proverbs 30:2: "Surely I am more stupid than any man, and have not the understanding of a man." If God doesn't save morons, I'm lost! Please pray for me. If I am self-righteous as you say, then I am dishonoring my Lord Jesus Christ, and there is nothing more grievous to me. Thank you for reading the post above, and responding. I wish you well. As I told Megan above, I learn from people who disagree with me, and I value their input. Peace be with you. Paul

      Delete
    2. Yes you are an absolute moron. Wherever you are teaching they need to be rescued from such an abortion of wrightful direction. May God help them

      Delete
  3. Not everyone finds Jesus before they are spared a life of abuse and sexual impurity. The hardest part of coming to Christ is busting past the body of believers who somehow see fit to look condescendingly on individuals who have not lived a pure life. It is a blessing to find a spouse whose heart and body are pure and devoted to the Word of God. Not everyone has that experience. It does not make those who do not have that experience any less useful to God. I am weary of hearing that I do not deserve a godly man because I have been used and abused by other men. At what point does our sin get covered by the blood? What special 3-D glasses do we as the body of believers have the pleasure of donning with which to peer condescendingly at those whose lives have been tarnished by sexual sin. Sexual purity is commanded of us by God. From the point of our conversion, he demands nothing less. Matthew 1 indicated that God uses each person as He wills despite their past history of sexual immorality. Jesus doesn't tell us to clean ourselves up before we come to Him, but he does expect us to be clean after we are washed in His blood. If Jesus doesn't want the rose, who exactly picked me up of the ground after I had been trampled and drew me to saving faith in Him? Maybe I deserve nothing better than to be trampled in the dirt because of my sin, but don't we all? All any of us deserves is hell. At what point does shaming serve to draw lost people in? Jesus didn't shame the woman at the well. He offered her Living Water after telling her the truth. Jesus didn't shame the woman caught in adultery. He forgave her and told her to go and sin no more. Matt Chandler's example serves to dismantle the false perception that there are some sins viewed as being so insurmountably despicable that no one could possibly want the sinner. Breaking this barrier is imperative in order for those who have suffered due to sexual sin to understand that they are welcome at the foot of the cross. You cannot come away changed if you are never invited to approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your thoughtful response. I wish you all the best as you seek to serve the Lord faithfully. You speak of having been "used and abused by other men" and you have my deepest sympathy. I want to be clear that I despise the notion that people who have been abused must somehow have sinned themselves. That doctrine comes straight from the pit of hell. (Jesus himself was abused by other men!). Second, I strongly agree with you when you say that "All any of us deserves is hell." Sadly true. Which is why I think it would be wise to back far away from the word "deserve" in the sentence, "I am weary of hearing that I do not deserve a godly man...". Well, does anyone deserve a godly spouse? I have never felt, or claimed, that I deserved Lisa. She's glorious. I don't deserve her. She's a sheer gift of grace for which I daily give thanks. To maintain otherwise, to think "I deserve a godly wife because I've been good" or "I deserve a godly wife despite my willful sin" is to slide toward corruption. Third, when you say, "Jesus doesn't tell us to clean ourselves before up we come to Him", I am afraid I have to agree with C S Lewis that this rhetoric reflects a misunderstanding of what "coming to Jesus" means. Lewis writes that repentance "is simply a description of what going back to Him is like. If you ask God to take you back without it, you are really asking Him to let you go back without going back. It cannot happen." Lewis is right. If say we have come to Jesus while refusing to "clean up" (repent), then we really haven't come to him at all!

      Delete