Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February 2, 2010: In Praise Of Questions

Last Sunday I had the delight of staying after church for a long time discussing biblical issues with a couple who had asked me a question about a text that came up in Sunday School. I talked their ears off, and they listened with patience and grace. It was wonderful. At least, I thought it was wonderful.

I love questions. My relationship with the nicest person I've ever met started with a question. While sitting next to me at a Bible study she asked me if I understood Matthew 16:19, and that provoked me to unload a lengthy monologue. Amazingly, at the end, she was neither bored out of her skull nor looking over her shoulder at the exit sign and wishing she hadn't asked. Even more amazingly, a few months later she agreed to marry me.

When I read Tim Keller's great book The Reason For God I saw something there that stirred me to strong feelings of pastor envy. He said that for the first few years at his church in Manhattan he stayed after the worship service for three to four hours every week answering questions about the Bible and Christian faith. Three to four hours! Where did he find all those questioners, and how can I get me some? (Of course - to be fair - if I did have those questioners in my congregation they would probably plumb the depths of what I have contribute in short order and then say to themselves, "I think what I really need to do is go ask Tim Keller this question.")

Questioners make for good leaders. I once heard John MacArthur say, "If in a group of people you want to know who the leader is, he's the one asking all the questions." Instantly I realized MacArthur was right. Through questions a person gains knowledge, and without knowledge you cannot effectively lead anyone. Speaking as a born follower, I know that the person I want to follow most is the guy who knows everything.

Years ago I learned a great piece of "question wisdom" from Ken Pike, linguist extraordinaire and founding member of Wycliffe Bible Translators. I love to pass it along to students. He said that as a young man at the University of Michigan in the 1940s he made up his mind that if there was ever anything he did not understand, he would ask the professor. Though shy and (by his own admission) psychologically fragile, he deliberately chose never to worry about looking like a fool when asking things that probably everybody else in the room already understood.

I adopted that same policy in all my later schooling, and you would not believe how many times fellow students came up to me after class and thanked me for verbalizing the same questions they had but were afraid to ask. (The other students, the ones who presumably wondered "Why won't that idiot shut up?", all graciously kept their complaints to themselves.)

Even Jesus asked questions: "How long has he been like this?" (Mark 9:21); "Who do people say that I am?" (Mark 8:27); "Where shall we buy bread for these people to eat?" (John 6:5). All his questions were terrific conversation starters - except for that time he asked the Pharisees how the Messiah could be David's son (Matthew 22:45-46). That turned out to be a terrific conversation ender. In your face, Pharisees.

Aren't questions great?

1 comment:

  1. Who knows, maybe John (Reformedispy) MacArthur is right and the greatest Greek scholars (Google "Famous Rapture Watchers"), who uniformly said that Rev. 3:10 means PRESERVATION THROUGH, were wrong. But John has a conflict. On the one hand, since he knows that all Christian theology and organized churches before 1830 believed the church would be on earth during the tribulation, he would like to be seen as one who stands with the great Reformers. On the other hand, if you have a warehouse of unsold pretrib rapture material, and if you want to have "security" for your retirement years and hope that the big California quake won't louse up your plans, you have a decided conflict of interest - right, John? Maybe the Lord will have to help strip off the layers of his seared conscience which have grown for years in order to please his parents and his supporters - who knows? One thing is for sure: pretrib is truly a house of cards and is so fragile that if a person removes just one card from the TOP of the pile, the whole thing can collapse. Which is why pretrib teachers don't dare to even suggest they could be wrong on even one little subpoint! Don't you feel sorry for the straitjacket they are in? While you're mulling all this over, Google "Pretrib Rapture Dishonesty" for a rare behind-the-scenes look at the same 179-year-old fantasy.

    ReplyDelete