Tuesday, June 2, 2009

June 2, 2009: The Dearest Idol I Have Known

It is possible for a human being to become an idol for us.

Probably not in the literal sense, where we would actually render worship to the individual, or pray to him, or ascribe to him qualities unique to God. You see that in the Bible sometimes. In Daniel 6 King Darius, pressured by lackeys, wrote idolatry of himself into law, insisting that for 30 days no prayers be offered to any god but him. (Daniel disobeyed and got thrown to providentially meek lions.) And Herod Agrippa received worship in Acts 12:22 when a crowd heard him and cried, "The voice of a god and not a man!" He died soon afterward - it turned out he had the body of a man and not a god.

I don't think we worship people like that any more - though perhaps it is worth noting that that is one of the complaints Protestantism lays at the feet of Catholicism. Protestants detect in Catholic worship a tendency to treat Mary and other saints as gods whenever prayers are offered to them rather than through them. (And a good Protestant won't even ask a departed saint to pray for him for the simple reason that the Bible forbids communication with the dead.)

But even a conscientious Protestant can find that he has made an idol of somebody. Colossians 3:5 is instructive here: it says that greed is idolatry. Just as a greedy person puts gold in the place of God, so also someone might be tempted to put a person in the place of God. I believe that is what Jesus warned about in Luke 14:26 when he said that a man must "hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters - yes, even his own life" in order to be his disciple. Of course "hate" is not literal (we are commanded to love our enemies - how much more our family members!), but serves to illustrate the priority of Jesus first, and all earthly attachments - even family - after him.

A few months after my father died we sang at church the great William Cowper hymn, Oh For A Closer Walk With God. I recall my mother confessing to me how hard it was for her to sing the 4th stanza:

The dearest idol I have known,
Whate'er that idol be
Help me to tear it from thy throne
And worship only thee.


Her eyes filled with tears as she said, "But my dearest idol was Dad!" It seemed cruel to her to have to rip him from the throne – as though he were some godless usurper of affection - when she knew him to be kind and worthy and a lover of God himself. I can't remember if I was able to say anything helpful to her, or anything at all.

A wise widow wrote to me saying that she was asking God what she could do to keep his good gifts from becoming idols to her. Her conscience likewise afflicted her about having idolized her husband, of having allowed him to take the place of God in her heart.

But I'm not convinced that either my mother or this widow were really guilty of shunting God aside and giving their husbands the honor that is due God alone. Wives are supposed to honor their husbands (Ephesians 5:33) and train younger women to love theirs (Titus 2:4). In the two churches I have pastored, I have yet to see even one woman who adored her husband the way my mom adored my dad - and I can't say I view that as a positive thing. It is not: "Good for them! See how well they resist the temptation to idolize their husbands!" but rather, "Why so little respect, deference, and spontaneous affection? Are all their men really so hard to love?"

I believe the better test of whether we have idolized someone is if we see that we have granted him or her the power to make us sin. It is not so much when we love, respect and delight in them but when we have let them lead us into wrongdoing that we have made an idol of them, and must rip them away from the throne of God. I know one man - I'm not making this up - whose young wife beguiled him away from a Sunday worship service by doing a striptease in front of him just before he was about to leave for church! She became his "golden calf" that day, standing provocatively between him and the appointed hour of worshipping the Lord.

Other forms of human idolatry will be more subtle, but I think that that spicy example demonstrates the main idea. Human idols are not merely people whom we treasure - however highly - but people whom we permit to hinder our glad submission to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment