Sunday, March 2, 2003

March 2, 2003: When Suffering Makes You Compassionate

A word of encouragement for any of you who have a sorrow deep enough to make you cry, or troubling enough to rob you of sleep.

Last night my teenage son Ben was telling me about friends and acquaintances of his (12 of them!) who are suffering from distresses ranging from anorexia to suicidal depression to bipolar disorder. He prays for them, talks to them, and has gotten them help from authorities at school. I rejoice over Ben's compassion for troubled friends. I think of Rabbi Saunders' words in Chaim Potok's great novel The Chosen: "A heart I need for a son, a soul I need for a son, compassion I want from my son, righteousness, mercy, strength to suffer and carry pain, that I want from my son, not a mind without a soul!"

I believe that Ben's heart of compassion has been refined by his own horrific experiences. Last year at this time he was in and out of a psychiatric ward with episodic depression severe enough to be life-threatening. My wife and I were at our wit's end. There were Sundays I did not want to preach for fear that I would not be able to hold myself together.

Now, a year later, Ben has been restored to such a degree that we dare whisper the word "healing." Glory to God. And more glory to God for the good that has come from his sorrow. I do not claim to know all that God is doing, but I think that anyone can see that Ben has, from his pain, become better equipped to touch hearts with the comfort wherewith God comforted him.

There is divine purpose to your sorrow. You must believe that. You must believe that in all things God works for the good of those who love him and are called according to his purpose (Romans 8:28). Take courage.

His purposes will ripen fast
Unfolding every hour
The bud may have a bitter taste
But sweet will be the flower.

No comments:

Post a Comment